Advertising helps greatly in showing the consumers what they really want. In the process of advertising there are various techniques that are applied that may either bring about positive or negative effects to the products. This is usually brought about by the way various advertisers present their adverts to the consumers. According to most researches obtained from the general population about advertisement, the highest percentage of people take advertisement to be a good thing. This is because they believe it to be informative and essential.
Despite of this, in my own point of view advertisement has got a lot of negative influence to the consumers and the general society. Some of the aspects that make advertisement to be taken negatively by the consumers are; on the ethical aspect, advertisement has a completely demeaning consequence to the public; on the economic aspect, it is believed to be economically improvident; and on the social aspect, it provides little truth about a certain product. All these aspects are the few examples of the aspects of advertisement that render it to being negative to the society.
Advertisement is perceived by the various intellectuals as a thing that greatly corrupts our society thus criticizing the social orders of that make up the society. According to Christopher Mayhew, advertisement teaches other different things that do not match with what the society teaches us in the aim of upholding good societal teachings that are essential. Christopher and Tory argue that` Advertisement introduces people to the good things of life’. This means that these things are full of pleasures of the world. These pleasures are the things which we can only buy after they have been advertised but we cannot instill them in us so that they can be guiding us in our daily endeavors. The advertisements cannot inculcate in us good manners, honesty, kindness, friendship, sense of duty or the respect for the laws that govern us. These are the morals that enable people to coexist in a smooth and desirable environment. Instead the advertisements lay their basis on things like aperitifs, chocolates, aperients, deodorants, cars, and perfumes. These are only things which that can be bought in order to satisfy the human desires and they cannot help in crafting the society to the desired shape. According to me it is of great importance for the society to uphold the importance things that help in steering it ahead of all the activities that touch on its social well being.
On the ethical aspect, advertisements also play a big role in emphasizing emotional and the sexual desires. This defies what Williams believe in. He believes that` advertising keeps the industrial wheels turning’. This is true but there are other advertisements that do not uphold the ethical values of a given society. According to the society, things that are touching on sexual matters are perceived to be very crucial. Sexual matters should not be discussed openly without taking into consideration the various people that are involved. They are believed to be only for the people who have attained the age of discussing this. All the products related to sexual matters should only be exposed to the people who have attained the age bracket for this. In the contrary, it is so hard for the advertisers to only target the age that should be associated with sex matters. Due to this they make their advertisements open to the general public not excluding the young children. This leads to moral decay to the general society because the young ones are exposed to various issues which do not uphold the required morals of the society.
On the economical aspect, there have been a number of critics that take the issue on advertising as a phenomenon that focuses on individual sectors. Advertisements focus on certain products that do not make people more productive when they engage in them. In turn these people become less productive and of less important to the general society. The consumers of these products are reduced to people whom they were not in their earlier lives. They become less economically productive thus dragging the performance of the economy of the society. These products include alcohol and junk food. These two products have various consequences when they are taken. Junk food leads to obesity that makes people to have week bodies despite of them being fat. The alcohol makes people to become drunkards and may cause various diseases that might claim the lives of the consumers. Such kind of adverts on the products that cause negative effects to the people should be discouraged because they make our economy to grow in a slow pace when the consumers get affected by these products.
On the ethical aspect, Professor John Cohen criticizes advertisements by arguing that `advertisements only tell half the truth’. They are believed to only present a little truth about the products that are advertised. The advertisers lure their consumers through providing sugary information about the products which at times is not the truth. They only do this so that they can attract more of their producers. In doing this they are able to attract a lot of consumers who buy their products so that they can enjoy the good things that have been advertised in these various products. It is of great importance that the advertisers give adequate and more information about the products. This information should be factual and honest. Therefore, through the advertisers giving information which is not factual and honest about their products is an issue which does not support the good morals of any society. This is the major thing that contributes to advertisements to be perceived in a negative way by various consumers and the society as a whole. It is of great importance for the advertisements to be representing genuine information about the various products that the consumers might get interested in.
On the economic aspect, advertisements are supposed to represent the major issues in the society that aim at raising the economy. According to Christopher Mayhew, Williams and John Kenneth who is an economist believe that institutions such as schools and hospitals are the ones that are supposed to be captured greatly in the advertisements. In most of the advertisements various things are highlighted which do not focus on the crucial things that would help the general society. Things such as hospitals and schools are the ones that should be greatly focused on. They are the ones that are needed greatly by all the people in a given set up. Despite of doing this, the advertisers focus their attention on the industrial outputs and on the things that detract humankind from its nonindustrial aspirations. In order to steer any economy ahead the schools and the hospitals are the ones which should be given the number one priority. The schools provide education to the people who are given the mandatory to draw economic models that enable our economies to grow. On the other hand the hospitals provide good treatments to the health of the people who help in building thee society.
In order to understand that the most of the advertisements have negative contribution to the consumers and the society one is required to take an example that contains all the parts that are used in composing a good advert. For instance ‘sprite helps one to obey his or her thirst’. This advert is used worldwide to market this Coca-cola product by showing that people who take Sprite are the only ones who obey their thirst. In the real life one can obey his/her thirst through taking plain water which is believed to be affordable to everyone. This is one of the adverts that show how advertisers use sugary language so that they can convince their consumers.
According to the negative influences stated above, I believe that the advertisers should at least provide the factual information about the products they advertise. This will enable the consumers to purchase genuine goods that will provide them with the item they intend to get from these products. In turn this will help in building the trust between the producer and consumer.
At CustomWritings.com you can order an essay online. All academic essays are 100% custom written from scratch by professional writers. Prices start at $10/page only!
2.75 avg. rating (60% score) - 4 votes
Tags: Advertising essay, Advertising essay example, Advertising essay sample, Advertising research paper
Top 8 Advertising Research Paper Topics
Choosing a research paper topic is never easy – especially when it involves a specific subject, like advertising. However, choosing an advertising research paper topic becomes much easier if you have a basic idea to work off of. That’s why we’ve put together a list of the top 8 advertising research paper topics around. Take a look, and see if you could work with one of these topics yourself!
- Time period advertising. Examining the advertising styles of different times periods is a highly interesting and fruitful endeavor. You can apply it to moral values, patriotism, consumer trends, social events and so much more. If you’re looking for a truly intriguing and thought-provoking research paper topic, try researching advertising styles from different eras.
- Advertising and the image of perfection. Beautiful women and handsome men have always been sued in advertising – but what does this say about our society? How does it affect the viewers? Explore the effects and implications about physical beauty and it’s relation to advertising, and you’ll have one interesting paper.
- Emotional effects. Advertising campaigns actually inspire emotions in individuals, and exploring the connection between a person’s happiness and their exposure to advertisements is an intriguing paper topic. You may have to dig for research, but it’s an incredible topic if you’re up to the challenge.
- Subliminal advertisement. Pretty much anything someone reads, sees on television or views on a billboard is likely to have some type of subliminal advertising. See what examples you can find of subliminal advertising and explore their effectiveness, frequency or other aspects in a research paper.
- Advertising and censorship. What images or situations would be too offensive to put into advertisement? Examining the censorship rules of advertising, as well as the changes in advertising censorship over the years, can be a captivating topic.
- Advertising in different countries. What countries advertise and how they advertise says loads about the country as a whole. Examine one country’s advertising strategies in light of their nation’s values; or, examine the contrasting advertising styles of different countries for an interesting compare and contrast.
- Advertising styles. Advertisements come in many different forms: fast, humorous, serious, sexy, colorful, bleak, etc. Examining the different styles of advertisements and how they relate to the target audience, product or company could be a fascinating research paper choice.
- Gender, sex and advertising. Everyone says sex sells, but it’s always fun to explore the idea a little further. When do gender roles and sex come in to play with advertising? What purpose do they serve? What do they reflect about society? What do they promote? Explore these or any other questions for one interesting research paper.
Posted by July 7th, 2016