To learn how to write a character analysis essay you need to note one thing. The character of a book in this type of essay is the start. This paper is often required by literary courses.
You should analyze how the character is solving conflicts, how he is reflecting on them. Analyze their role in the book. In this article, our experts will show how to write a character analysis essay step by step.
TOP-CLASS CHARACTER ANALYSIS ESSAYS HERE
What is a Character Analysis Essay?
Let’s start with the definition. Any character analysis essay example requires from the writer deeper understanding of the character. Tell more about his role. Show total understanding of the character. Identify him as a protagonist or antagonist.
If one is writing a character analysis, he needs to get deep into the plot style of the author. It will improve your analytical skills. It will show understanding of the literary piece entirely. One needs to tell how the profile was built. Tell how he or she is acting in the book.
Types of Characters
- Protagonist – absolutely positive one. Often it is a hero. The entire plot is building around him.
- Antagonist – the negative one. Often this person is acting against the protagonist. Depending on the plot of the book it can be a villain person or even a natural power.
- Major – any type of main characters. The entire story is cycling around them. Often there are two main characters in the book.
- Minor – the character that interacts with majors, but has less importance in the entire story. Often are static. They help the main ones to open their personalities.
- Foil – a character involved to contrast with the major roles.
How to Write a Character Analysis Essay
Let’s talk how to write a character analysis essay step by step. The main task from the start is to read the literary piece carefully to understand every character, especially those you need to analyze in paper. If you are writing a character analysis about all protagonists or major, pay more attention to them. Pay attention to details, style, methods. All parts of the book are important. Try to see how the writer was shaping his characters and brought them to life. Note how big the difference between some of the characters is. Try to analyze their behavior and find the most interesting roles.
How to Start a Character Analysis Essay Example
Now you are aware of what is a character analysis essay and can start building your paper. It is better if it is free to choose an exact character to analyze. This option gives more control and interest in the entire project. If the topic was assigned by the teacher, don’t get upset. You always can find something interesting in any book and its characters.
Even if the book is already familiar, it is important to read it once again. You need to do this to refresh the book in mind. It will give the opportunity to notice new details and even the simplest characters can show some new angles of their appearance.
Here are few tips on how to write a character analysis essay:
- Note descriptive tools the writer uses in his book.
- Identify the type of relationship your character has with other characters in the book.
- List all the actions of your character that move the entire story ahead.
Character Analysis Essay Outline
You need to take notes during the reading process of the book you are working with. You may also underline interesting moments and details if the book copy is yours. You will need those things later and can use them as quotes. You should analyze your notes and make a brief description of the character. Include this description into your character analysis essay outline.
The outline is one of the most important steps in every paper type writing process. We all often ignore outlines as it takes time to make it instead of working on the draft immediately. This is the key to proper organization. If you don’t want to lose your way, create an outline.
Character analysis essay introduction
The character analysis essay introduction should be brief and striking. Don’t start describing your character with lots of details. Just make a simple and clear presentation and tell of his significance and role in the book. It should speak for your entire paper and hook your reader from the start.
ORDER ESSAY WITH A PERFECT INTRODUCTION
This is the main part where you should create your analysis. Divide the entire body into few sections to describe each significant feature and support it with evidence. You may use a classic format of the paper. Follow all the requirements of your tutor carefully. There should be some questions to make it easier for you to describe and open the character. Here are few to consider:
- Tell more about the person’s appearance, look, behavior, and background.
- List the main conflicts of the person? Tell how he or she has solved them.
- Tell about the lesson the character gives us?
How to Write a Conclusion for a Character Analysis Essay
Your character analysis essay conclusion is very similar to any other paper type you have already dealt with. It should summarize without any dumb listing the entire paper and its purpose. It should hold all the ideas of your paper. Make a clear statement. Make it convincing. Try to show your statement to the reader clearly.
Writing Advice for Our Professional Team
A student needs to learn how to write a character analysis essay for few reasons. The main one is to improve his or her analytical skills. Also, this type of a task will help you to understand the entire book better. If you have any questions about the format or are struggling with a short deadline, our writing experts are always happy to help you out. Just call us any time. Good luck!
In any TV crime drama or British detective movie, a group of investigators is trying to solve the law case by defining the specific features of the potential offender. It can be noticed in any episode of "Colombo." Even fantastic TV series like "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer" or team Fang Gang from "Angel" deal a lot with personality identification. These skills are really useful in real life. However, if you have no idea on how to analyze one's personality, you'll be stuck in many life situations. That is why your school and college teachers often ask to write character analysis or analyze just any other subject.
LOOK FOR HELP HERE
Harry Potter, Buffy Summers, Colombo, Sarah Connor, Hamlet, Othello, Thor, ... There are so many wonderful fiction and non-fiction characters to analyze!
Further, in the text, we will cover the best examples of how to write a character analysis, great ideas, structure, and most useful tips that help to write an in-depth literary analysis that works. Read the guide on formatting academic essays to gain extra credit from your tutor. The result of the efficient paper is your "A" and teacher's appreciation.
Types of Character Analysis Essays
Before writing a character analysis piece, students must observe possible types of heroes to discuss. They include:
Protagonist - the central figures in any story. The plot tells about their lives and deeds. In "Buffy" series, a protagonist would be Buffy Summers herself while Angel(us) dominates in his personal TV show.
Antagonists (often defined as villains) - the opposites of heroes who tend to change during the entire story. Thus, their nature is usually more interesting to describe. Keep in mind that each personality you choose does not have to be a human being; it can be a force of nature, animal, not a living creature, etc. In our example, Faith Lehane is one of the antagonists who switches from light side to dark after killing a human and returns to light closer to the show's culmination.
Major - these characters dominate the entire story. On the example of "Buffy," we can say Scooby Gang with its five and more members represent the majors of the show.
Minor - these characters start in a couple of episodes or book chapters. Their role can be significant in the development of other figures and entire plot. In our example, we would pick someone like Amy Madison Witch or Vampire Darla who both have an influence on the main characters of both shows.
Dynamic and static characters are two opposites. The first group keeps changing throughout the story while static heroes remain the same. Willow Rosenberg, the Witch, evolves from a shy straight school girl to the world's most powerful witch with a lesbian context; Harmony remains the same silly, naive blonde even once turned to a vampire.
Stereotypical - we believe everyone knows what a stereotype is. Jonathan represents a member of this category by being a typical high school nerd who has no friends and keeps on studying all the time.
Foils - the role of these characters is to contrast with the majors throughout the story. Faith is the opposite of Buffy, Spike is the opposite of Angel, Draco Malfoy is the opposite of Harry Potter, etc.
Three-dimensional (round) personalities. These are people with double-nature, and multiple characters in their mind are all great examples of 3-dimensonal heroes. Have you watched the movie titled "Split" with the guy who had 23 or more personalities living inside of him? That's what we mean!
Unlike round characters, there are one-dimensional (flat) ones who are boring to discuss and play an insignificant role in the story.
How to Write a Character Analysis: 8 Helpful Tips & Tricks!
Do not confuse personality analysis essay with a simple descriptive essay! This type of academic paper has several peculiar features to consider, and below we share top tips on how to write an analysis of a character.
- Mind Character Analysis Form
There is two possible analysis forms student should consider when he is ready to write such type of paper:
- A part of a literary analysis paper. It means a writer should first write the summary of the story plot, include other details, and end up with the strong character analysis.
- A separate essay that focuses on a single personality. Should the character wisely to write a powerful, interesting analysis paper (it is recommended to choose three-dimensional characters, heroes, villains, or foils).
As you can guess, the first type involves more text and more sections. Write about things like:
- Main idea
- All main heroes
- Compare & contrast
- Other elements of literary analysis
In the first case, you don't have too much space to write a detailed character analysis as you have to write about all elements equally. Thus, if your analysis essay must include more than 1000 words, and you have three literary elements to discuss, you should not write more than 200 words on each topic taking into account introduction and conclusion are always needed. These two parts figure as the summary. At the same time, there is more evidence to support your view on a particular hero.
A separate character paper is a bit less complex, and our article focuses on revealing its main rules and structure. If you are in a hurry, use the crucible character analysis example.
- Begin with the Basic Information
You should start with identifying the hero: name the original story, author, years of publishing, and write a summary. Then recall the hero to whom you wish to dedicate your analysis essay. Write some basic observations first:
- Full name and its interpretation (if any). E.g. name Angel is a short form of the evil vampire's name Angelus; Buffy is a short version of Elizabeth. The name of your target hero may have a different meaning than you expect. E.g., Faith is far from giving hope to people.
- Age - it is easier to explain the actions of different characters by taking into account their age: Dawn Summers often acts silly because she's a 15-year old kid.
- Gender (man/woman/unknown)?
- Social status - write about character's work and role in community he or she is living in (unemployed heroes tend to behave more aggressively than employed ones, for example)
- Physical appearance - it is not enough to write Cordelia Chase is beautiful, and she was a Prom Queen - more details are expected! Small elements of analysis include weight, height, and clothing. They point to the main qualities of your hero. Clark Kent wears glasses and strict suits to hide his Superman nature under the mask of office nerd.
- Speech patterns. See how speech, language, the manner of voice reveals different Shakespeare's characters nature in hamlet character analysis
The primary step is to describe your hero before composing a more detailed analysis. You should have a draft where you mention how each quality influences your chosen character and, perhaps, the whole story.
REQUEST YOUR ESSAY NOW
- What Would Your Interview Questions Sound Like?
Pretend that you have a chance to talk to your hero: what questions would you write down to conduct an analysis? Read the original story to find some proper quotes to answer these questions; make sure to cite every quote properly. Choose something like:
- Character's background: has Harry Potter's difficult childhood and complicated relationships with family members made him a bad person?
- Write about the way other people talk about your hero. In other words, get and share the feedback from Hermione, Ron, Draco, and Hogwarts teachers.
- Try to imagine how this character would describe his own In case such information is missing in the book, try to guess as the students do with Betty Parris, John Proctor, and other people in the crucible character analysis example.
- The analysis essay requires a short review of the relations with other people. Highlight the name of his friends and enemies (Willow, Wesley, Ron, Hermione, Leonardo) - it may tell a lot.
- Write down the ways your individual acts in different force majeure situations.
- Any good character analysis example involves these recommended questions - take the time to read outstanding examples of expert writing.
- Use Supportive Materials
We recommend using extra study materials and prepared templates to write a character analysis essay every teacher wants to see. The best way to write a perfect analysis essay is to find excellent samples online.
We also encourage you to try one of the worksheets attached. Try to keep your ideas and entire character study organized:
More Tips to Observe
Those were the main tips each student must remember when writing a character analysis essay; it is time to read the last three recommendations. Also, it is interesting to read this article to find ways to write a successful essay of any type as a part of English test.
- Find a Focus
When you write, it is critical to concentrate on something. Even though the main goal is to conduct a character's in-depth analysis, you should still define the main point of the paper. Name all features of your hero and his or her role in the story. Then, highlight only one trait that you find to be the most curious. In other words, define that one thing that made you choose this character (unless you were assigned your topic).
Here is an example of great analysis focus. Both Harry Potter and Buffy Summers have a hard mission they should accomplish by sacrificing their own lives. There is a common term used to describe such heroes as these two and Neo from "The Matrix" - The Chosen One. Write down about this trait in your character analysis.
- Body of Evidence
Present evidence from credible and up-to-date sources to support every aspect of your character analysis. As far as most of the time you will have to provide analysis of fictional character, scientific materials and academic journals won't do. Be ready to find evidence from the piece of literature you're working on. You will have to prove your awareness with the in-text citations and indirect quotes from the book or movie your hero comes from.
- It's All about Powerful Conclusion!
At the end of your character analysis essay, you need to find out whether the information you have provided throughout the text would be useful for detectives. Will they identify a character using your writing? Have you mentioned the most outstanding and important traits of your chosen person? A killer analysis essay conclusion might reveal one more aspect of your target character which would be a shock to the audience. Finally, you must write down the reasons for choosing this character out of all other alternatives.
How to Write a Character Analysis Essay
Do you wonder what to include in a character analysis paper? There are three things that make any character analysis essay specific.
Relationships: Write down the names of people with whom your target character interact most of all during the entire story development. Explain specific goals for choosing these characters to describe the target hero. On the examples of their relationships, a writer can point to the place of the chosen character in the story and explain his actions.
Author's Main Goal: When you write about the personality, it is important to specify the character's type (see the full list of types above). Write down why you think the author has created this specific character. Explain his/her role in the lives of other story heroes and entire plot; conclude with the lesson this character gives.
Organization: The structure of character analysis essay is different from the regular academic paper. If you write about specific fiction personality, there is no need to share any research findings. Follow a five-paragraph formula:
- Introduction paragraph
- Body paragraph number one
- Body paragraph number two
- Body paragraph number three
- Conclusion paragraph
An introduction must be based on the powerful thesis statement, which is the main argument in your essay. Make sure to attract attention from the opening paragraph. Involve a hook sentence, referencing the title of the chosen writing piece along with its author, and revealing the purpose of writing in a clear, concise thesis sentence. A good thesis includes at least three subtopics in the order the writer is going to write his character analysis essay: from the least to most important. The rest of the essay has a typical academic paper structure. Write an impressive conclusion which will motivate the readers to like/dislike the target personality.
LEARN WHERE EVERY HIGH SCHOOL OR COLLEGE STUDENT CAN GET PROFESSIONAL HELP
It's not easy to write about personality. Not to waste time on reading the full story, learning how to write excellent analysis essays, finding tips on proper formatting, and writing a character analysis paper, we offer fast and cheap academic help! It's up to you: stay creative, or ask for professional online help immediately after you receive a confusing task like that.
QUALITY ONLINE ACADEMIC ASSISTANCE ANYTIME ANYWHERE!
Wishing for a magic writing solution? – We’ve got one for you